Re: Howto configure KDE to always open new windows?

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Alan Evans <ame.fedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> My devel machine at work is running F17 and KDE. There are lots of little
> things about KDE that bug me, but this one is driving me batty.
>
> I keep 12 workspaces open. Yes, 12 -- it works for me. At any time, I'll
> have multiple instances (or at least multiple windows) open, spread around
> the various workspaces. For example, I might have 3 or 4 kate windows open
> in various workspaces, each editing groups of files relevant to what I'm
> doing with that workspace.
>
> Now, if I open a new file from, for example, Dolphin, the system picks one
> of the existing kate windows and opens the file in that. The problem is that
> I never want that to happen. It's especially aggravating when the window
> that opens the file is not even in the same workspace that I'm viewing when
> I select the file.

To force files opened with Kate to always appear in a new window,
right-click on the launcher in the bottom-left corner, open the Menu
Editor, locate Kate's entry, and add a "--new" switch to the end of
Kate's Command entry.  This should fix Dolphin and most other
graphical applications (for opening files in Kate, anyway).  If you
invoke kate from the command line you will need to include the --new
switch there too or use a shell alias.

> This also happens when I click links in emails. They always open in a
> (randomly? chosen) browser window even if that browser window is not in my
> current workspace.

What browser do you use?  Most of them have an option to force this in
their configuration.

> Is there a way to configure KDE to always open files or links in a new
> window? In the current workspace? It would be nice if there were some
> universal setting for this behavior, but I'll settle for just a way to make
> files opened in Dolphin always appear in a new window.

Unfortunately such a universal option for all programs is impossible
given the state of things.  :-(  But you can fix Kate and your browser
everywhere, and can probably fix the few other programs that exhibit
this behavior similarly.

-T.C.