Minor printing issue

Currently, I'm using F 17 and I have a reasonably new Canon MX410 printer. This works just fine except for one thing: it won't print pdf files, no matter what I do. (I've had this printer since before I had to re-install Fedora, and this has always been true; I just haven't taken the time to work out what's wrong before.)

Both times that I've installed it, CUPS picked the printer right up and selected what appeared to be the right driver. (It picked the one with the correct make/model in the name.) I've checked with Canon, and they don't support Linux; all they could do was point me at Adobe, which didn't help at all. I've tried to run evince from the command line to see if there were any error messages and there weren't. Checking, I learned that both lp and lpr should be able to print pdf files from the command line, but both of them complain that the destination isn't listed. (TFM tells me that they both check $PRINTER and $LPDEST environment variables, but neither of them is set. I've used the CUPS interface to make sure that this is set as the default printer, closed and re-opened the terminal, but they're still not set. At least,

echo $PRINTER

and

echo $LPDEST

return a blank line. Replacing the printer is not an option because my income is very limited and, except for this it does everything I need. Does anybody have any suggestions, including further troubleshooting?