Re: Fedora vs RHEL

On 04/16/2013 06:33 AM, Craig White wrote:

1. The access to get day of release packages. This means that security
updates don't wait for someone down the line to rebuild packages.
Yes, if this is additional lag to the lag already contained in RHEL is of concern to you, CentOS would not be a "best choice" for you.

However, when considering "immediate updates" will not always be possible on the user-side (a 24/7 server often can't shut down a lib), I consider this lag to be neglible in many situations.

This
means that a new release doesn't take weeks or months before it becomes
available (remembering that CentOS 6.0 release was about 8 months behind
the RHEL 6.0 release
IMO; that's are red herring. As CentOS6 wasn't released then, CentOS users had to stay with CentOS5. I.e. the delay did not affect then at all. Afterwards, the CentOS project has been doing a pretty good job to keeping the lags to RHEL small.

2. Real binary compatibility - it is after all, the genuine product. I
applaud CentOS and others for all their efforts to generate packages as
close as possible to binary compatibility but the first time you find
out that some 3rd party software package says installation on CentOS is
not supported, you then realize that there is a difference, even if it
is seemingly arbitrary.
As this thread is about Fedora vs. RHEL, my primary reason for not using RHEL and CentOS as my Desktop OS, is them both being comparatively slimmed down and comparatively incomplete server-oriented distros.

I.e. if your works rely upon packages or versions of packages, which are not part of CentOS/RHEL, CentOS/RHEL are not a good choice.

I for one, chose CentOS as my (In-house, non-public) server's OS, but am using Fedora on clients, exactly for this reason.

3. $799 a year for support is more than a small business can justify?
It often is. It definitely is additional cost-factor, which is only justified if the "pros" RHEL has over CentOS are of real importance.
In many sitations these are not of importance.

Ralf