Re: Fedora vs RHEL

Am 15.04.2013 23:17, schrieb Paul W. Frields:
>>> [...snip...]
>>>
>>> My house has never caught fire yet, but I still have more than the
>>> minimal amount of homeowner's insurance required by law
>>
>> that may be right in this context
>>
>> but a support contract in the reality does not guarantee that
>> every problem you MAY have is solved in a acceptable timeframe
>> and mostly support contracts are ending where your setup differs
>> from the defaults and if the deafults would satisfy your business
>> you mostly would not have the problem which needs to be solved
>>
>> at the end of the day you oftly realize that a support contract
>> doe snot help you in your situation and power the money in more
>> redundancy would have been the better solution
>
> What defaults are you talking about?

that may differ and is not easily classify
after many years in the business i have seen too much "sideletters" :-)

honestly, Redhat would be one of the few i trust most

why? because they are doing a lot for opensource at all and are
showing a overall fine attitude since many years

> If I alter the default configurations for my web server, for example,
> in no way does that make it unsupportable by Red Hat

but if they apache RPM doe snot satisfy you and you rebuild
it with slightly different options the support is gone which
is clearly to understand from the point of view of the support
but is one big benefit of opensource -> you are able to do so

> Can all problems absolutely be solved, 100% guaranteed?  Probably not,
> although I know a lot of support people who really try to make that
> true.  But I can probably guarantee you that without support, the
> vendor is 100% likely not to solve it. :-)

true

> BTW, I feel like this thread is now talking a lot about Red Hat
> support, and going pretty off-topic for helping Fedora users.  But at
> the same time, I also feel honor-bound, because Red Hat pays my
> salary, to correct what I believe are mistaken impressions.  Apologies
> to any who are bored or losing patience.  I will pipe down for now

no problem

it speaks for Redhat at the end of the day that here are people
which are paied from the company and can say their opionios
in the public wihtout asking someone in the company for every word

there are way too much examples out there where this is impossible