Re: Creating a server with Fedora 18

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, les wrote:

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 19:16 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 27.03.2013 18:55, schrieb les:

[...]

Unfortunately we were driving and I couldn't take coherent notes

in this context i would not recommend Fdora for a server because it
has a limited release-lifetime and you have two options twice a year

* re-install
* dist-upgrade

re-install is not much funny and a dist-upgrade with rely on a
screen reader maybe also not because sometimes a lot of changes
which i personally would not want to take care of in this siutation

in this conext i would recommdn CentOS6 which has security updates
for arund 10 years, the backside is that you can't have major
upgrades of software for a specific release and a dist-upgrade
is mre or less impossible because the changes are too much

Thanks, Reindl,
	He won't be too happy, he loved Fedora.  I'll google for the setups for
CentOS.  It looks like they are taking about 6.1 now on their website.

	If you know of any good server setup instructions, I could sure use it.
I'll read up so I know a bit up front, and I may try to set up a server
locally so I see what the issues are.  My friend is a really good man,
and I will help where I can.  It has taken him a few years to get to a
place where he is ready to try this.  Life deals us bad hands some times
I guess.

I agree with Reindl on this. Fedora is insufferably bleeding-edge to the point that it has even alienated its core developers with the aggressiveness of its release cycle:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111104121194250082892/posts/aCiB7kTLXTh

CentOS is targeting a stable, long-lived run (I think ver. 6.x has an end-of-life of 2020?)

Nevertheless, both Fedora and CentOS distributions are directed at user communities that can engage with the configuration and setup of their systems, including text-editing of key configuration files.

Start with a minimal installation, and then build from there using yum.
Also, include other repositories such as epel and rpmfusion*.

http://www.centos.org/

Regards,
Les H

Max Pyziur