Re: I want Fedora in my future, but is it possible?

On 03/20/2013 10:32 AM, Matthew J. Roth issued this missive:
Olav Vitters wrote:

Would be lovely if you'd (Harald Reindl) be booted off this mailing list,
but still: whatever.

Harald may be a little rough around the edges, but he consistently makes helpful
and informative posts.  In balance, this mailing list would be much worse off
without his presence.

In this case, I also happen to agree with him.  Just because tablets and
smartphones are en vogue at the moment doesn't mean that there isn't a place for
more traditional form factors in the future.  With so many different
distributions, I don't see any reason why any of them should be trying to be one
size fits all.  I know I certainly don't want to be using a tablet to do my day-
to-day development and server administration tasks.

It's all Linux, so there is no need for an "us vs. them" mentality between
distributions.  If one is more suited for servers, another for desktops, and
another for tablets/smartphones then so be it.  After all, the Unix philosophy
is to "do one thing and do it well".

Doing anything useful with a tablet (e.g. software development,
managing a data center, etc.) is well-nigh impossible. I only use one if I absolutely must and it generally takes MUCH more time to get
anything done.

<soap>
Tablets and smartphones have their uses. "Tweets" or Facebook update
stuff (is your life really so bloody pathetic that you have to share
that you ate a peanut butter sandwich to feel "connected"?) is what
they're designed for. I will never give up my desktop or large screen
laptop (which occasionally gets coupled to my cell phone as a 4G
wireless modem). I have to do real work.
</soap>