Re: F-18 display setting problem -

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 16:49:56 -0500
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Section "Device"
>              Identifier  "Videocard0"
>              Driver      "ati"
>
> I wonder if the ati driver is appropriate. The processor is an AMD A8
> 3850 and the GPU is apparently integral to it. The only thing I've
> found so far:
>

>     Integrated Graphics
>
>   * Type AMD Radeon HD 6550D
>   * Base Frequency 600 MHz

Well, first of all, you probably want to put "radeon" driver up there
instead of "ati".

Second, the data about your PCI hardware, including the graphics card,
is displayed by "lspci -v", which should confirm that you have an ATI
Radeon graphics card.

Third, you want to remove any extra hardware (like a KVM switch) from
between the monitor and the computer, and connect the two directly.
This will ensure that the EDID data from the monitor is being read
properly, if possible.

Fourth, you should tell us whether this was a clean install or an
upgrade. If it was a clean install, you should send us the content
of /var/log/Xorg.0.log file (it may be large, maybe put it in a pastebin
or something). This file can tell all the details about what is going
wrong with automatic resolution detection and EDID readout.

Fifth, if you did an upgrade from a previous Fedora version, there may
be a lot of cruft left from a previous X (mis)configuration. In that
case, you want to remove all custom drivers that you may have added
before, rename /etc/xorg.conf.d/ to something else, and reboot the
system to let it start with default automatic configuration. The
automatic configuration usually Just Works, and is by far the best
method for configuring X.

Finally, please don't just copy-paste other people's xorg.conf files.
This is just ignorant and wrong --- every hardware combination has a
different configuration, and it is most likely that someone else's
xorg.conf file will *not* work on your system. Or if it does, it may
work suboptimally and create a lot of minor glitches all over the
system.

HTH, :-)
Marko