Re: How do I write a script to randomly choose a vpn location with NetworkManager?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 10.02.2013 23:56, schrieb T.C. Hollingsworth:
On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Bill Oliver <vendor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I commonly access the net through a vpn service that has multiple locations
for me to use.  Right now, when I go into KDE with Fedora 18, NetworkManager
automatically gets me on the correct wireless net (if I've set the option),
but I have to access the vpn by opening the network icon in the desktop
panel and clicking on whichever vpn site I want to use.

I can click on "connect automatically" on any one of the vpn options and it
will connect.  That works fine.

But... what I want to do is to *randomly* choose one of the options and
connect to it automatically when I boot up.

I know how to use bash or python or perl to write a script, but I don't know
how to tell it to talk to NetworkManager.

Anybody know how to do that, or can point me to a tutorial or such?

nmcli con up id <connection name>

See `nmcli con` for a list of connections and `man nmcli` for more information

but RANDOMLY?

wtf - a computer is not a gambling machine
what sense makes a RANDOM connection?

Wtf indeed.  For me, it's a simple matter of hygeine,security, and privacy.  I also randomize my MAC address on bootup, clean my caches, use throwaway email addresses when I have to sign up with a company to get access to their web page, don't keep a search history on my browser, use proxy servers, use duckduckgo instead of Google, encrypt my disks, wipe deleted files, reinstall my OS every few months from scratch, etc.

Paranoid? Not really. I've been involved in forensics for years, and I've been the subject of more-or-less casual investigation and surveillance, usually for access to information involving a case.  Unlike some of my colleagues, I don't try to minimize my presence on the net.  I use my real name on mailinglists, I use social media (a little), etc.  If you Google on ' "William R Oliver" forensic ' (with the double quotes) every reference on the first page is me, or was the last time I looked. I don't try to be invisible, like many of my colleagues.  I just like to maintain a little control what spoor I leave on the net.

For one thing, there are a lot of crazies out there.  When you spend a lot of your time doing murder investigations, you run into a few scary people.  And some of them can get odd (and occasionally violent) ideas in their heads.

It's a little like locking your car door.  It won't stop anybody who's determined to get in your car, but it wi ll discourage the casual thief looking for an easy mark.  He'll go to the next car that's unlocked rather than brea k the glass in yours.  Usually.

billo
~