Re: FC18 install - doesn't offer other OS on the drive

Jorge Martínez López wrote:
Hi!

2013/1/25 Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx <mailto:davidsen@xxxxxxx>>

    I'll see if a different subject, devoid of anything but the question, brings
    a response. When I installed FC18 on a drive with FC17 and XP the installer
    didn't offer an option to boot those OS as alternatives.

    Is this a bug or by design.

I installed F18 in a Macbook Pro with Mac OS X in another partition and Mac OS X
shows up in Grub.

I am not sure if it is the task of the installer to set up booting other
operating systems. It is Grub that enables that. Grub2 looks for other operating
systems when updating its config and it should add them to the menu "automagically".

To update Grub's config I run:

# grub2-mkconfig /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Have done that, thanks for the reminder! However, that didn't result in XP or fc17 being detected. Is there some magic I can do to tell grub2 to actually use the fc17 boot and root, or am I screwed? The XP is less of an issue, I only use it to check that websites are viewable with IE, and I can just boot it under KVM and run it in a VM.

I avoid editing the grub.cfg file for three reasons:
  1 - I don't know what I'm doing, if magic is needed the install/upgrade
      should be the magician. The average users knows way less than I do
      about system setup.
  2 - The last time I did the system wound up being a totally unbootable
      recovery adventure. See #1
  3 - every kernel upgrade seems to rebuild the config file, making
      change a brief success.

All suggestions appreciated.

(Note: I use Grub2 and BIOS, configuration for EFI is different)

--
Jorge Martínez López <jorgeml@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jorgeml@xxxxxxxxx>>
http://www.jorgeml.net

--