Re: Installer inadequacies

On 18 January 2013 23:40, Roger <arelem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/19/2013 09:13 AM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 01:26:36PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
David A. De Graaf wrote:
Fedora 18.

What a disaster!  What were they thinking when they threw away a
perfectly good installer and inflicted this new User Interface on us?

It's simple, I had no problems, it just worked and I have a perfectly good Fedora 18
Roger

I also used it to install Fedora 18 onto a system with pre-existing partitions. I wanted it to newfs the old / partition that had contained F17 root on it, mount and not wipe my /home, /boot, /boot/efi and swap, and not touch the Windows partition. These are all GPT partitions at that.

What you do is that you choose the manual partitioning, then click each partition you want to use, and tick the "mount" checkbox (and tick the "wipe" checkbox, if you want to do that). The list of partitions under "Fedora 18" header on the left-hand side should fill up with the partitions that you want.

I have to agree that UI-wise it is a disaster, though. For one thing, the UI was very unexpected to me, and while I enjoy the change in the rest of the installer UI, I prefer to know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to partitioning. I didn't really know what I was doing this time; I clicked random stuff, hoped that it would work, and it did.

It would be very welcome if the installer at least showed me some review of the changes to the partitions it was going to do. You know, that simple table every other GUI partitioning tool I have ever used shows you before touching your drive: "I'm going to mount /dev/sda5 to /, and put a shiny new ext4fs on it; I'm going to mount /dev/sda4 to /boot, /dev/sda1 to /boot/efi, /dev/sda7 to /home, /dev/sda6 as swap and not wipe any of these. Is this what you want? [Yes, proceed] [No, no, oh god, no! Let me change that!]". This simple summary of changes would have made me a lot more comfortable with the new installer experience.

That's at least as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately, I don't have RAID or encrypted partitions.