Re: Best places to go for assistance with cloud questions?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:43:26PM -0500, Alex wrote:
> I have a few fc17 installs, and would like to get more involved with
> the cloud services that are available.

To answer the title question, the best place is probably the Cloud SIG
mailing list. More about the Cloud SIG in general at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG, and specifically the mailing list

> I'd like to know the differences in the capabilities between fc17/fc18 and
> RHEL?

It depends what thing you're talking about. Many cloud-related packages are
included as part of EPEL, which is a Fedora-backed project to build extra
packages for Enterprise Linux.

> Are these clouds primarily for data storage, or can I use fedora as a
> front-end where my mail applications (such as webmail and pop/imap)
> would access data in an Amazon cloud? This still leaves a single point
> of failure in my fedora system, however.

We don't actually have a cloud-backed data storage service. There is work in
progress to package OwnCloud, which is a web service you can install to run
your own cloud-backed storage system. Alternately, there is SparkeShare,
which uses Git as a backend, making it easily adaptable to a cloud solution.

I don't quite understand the question about front end mail applications.
Fedora has plenty of mail clients which can use any remote server,
cloud-hosted or not.

> What is the difference between OpenStack, Sheepdog, and Eucalyptus?

These are all software to build your own cloud infrastructure. OpenStack and
Eucalytus as similar, in that they let users spin up virtual machines in a
manner similar to Amazon EC2 or Rackspace cloud (although they're very
different in implementation). Sheepdog is a more low-level technology
designed to to provide block storage to virtual machines. It's perhaps best
thought of as a _component_ of a private cloud environment, not a whole
solution.

> I'm trying to create a fully fault-tolerant mail system, where if the
> front-end webmail system or the back-end spam/virus processing, or
> even the mailboxes, somehow become inaccessible, it is mirrored on
> another system and will automatically fail over to that system.

This is very possible with traditional, non-cloud server technology (since
it's been a requirement for many institutions since the 1970s). You could
certainly build it on top of cloud technology or *in* a cloud like Amazon EC
or in your own private cloud.

> Is there a single product that will do this, or do I need to master
> all of the above programs?

You'll definitely need to master some server software, but not necessarily
the above. Cloud makes it easy to spin up the multiple servers that might be
part of your architecture.

> I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a discussion on the
> different technologies, and a description for an advanced admin to get
> started implementing this solution.

I guess I'd start with a book on IMAP servers. The O'Reilly one is over a
decade out of date, but there's one from No Starch which might be helpful.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>