Re: Addressing convention -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA sent:
> Presently we have simply pulled the Ethernet plug on her
> computer, she can reconnect if she needs to but can't leave it
> on. She is threatening to buy a new computer and start over?
> Female logic!

Doesn't equate to the "but I'll lose my data"...

> There must be one hundred applications active on that computer
> and one of them is trying to suck up the whole internet. It's an
> dual quad core Apple Mac and I hesitate to do anything with it
> lest I leave it in some condition where she can't get her data.

Well, the problem is really the computer, not external, so best to
attack it where it really is.  Trying to firewall a problem is a bit of
a risk, if it doesn't work, and her problem is more serious than just
wasting bandwidth.  Not to mention that it increases the workload on
your router, trying to solve the problem, there, and some routers just
don't handle doing a lot of work.

A modern Apple is a distro of BSD (a real Unix), not too dissimilar to
Linux.  So the same methodologies apply, even though the implementation
is different.

Find their "top" command, and see what's running.  Find their nettop
command, and see what's using the network.  (Those may not be the
specific names of their commands, but you can google for "top for
MacOS," or any other command that you're used to using on Linux, to find
out about equivalents.)  Then research anything that you find running,
that you don't know what it does.

With the amount of traffic you've mentioned, previously, I'd be
concerned about peer-to-peer.  Whether she's doing it on purpose, or has
become owned, and acting as a hub without knowing it.  Being a zombie,
or an email server.

If you can't control your router, enough, to log what's going on, you
can put a second NIC into your Linux computer, and sit it between the
Mac and the router, forcing traffic in through one NIC and out on the
other, and do your network snooping on your computer.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.10-2.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 11 18:07:34 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.