Re: Install fails with Xorg segfault on fc17

Alex wrote:
Hi,

What are my options right now? I know I could probably go back to fc16
or wait until fc18 and hope it's fixed, or buy another video card, but
I'd like to see if there's something I'm missing that I can do right
now. Text mode isn't an option for me, because I need better control
over the disk formatting options.

See the "Live USB" thread I started about the same time as this, same issue
I'm 99+% sure. If you haven't tried the "Basic graphics" install, you might

Is this something I need to do at grub time? I'm not in front of it
now, but I only recall there being an install and recovery options
during boot. Unless a special Fn key combination or special grub
config is used?

Indeed, arrow down to the basic install line and hit ENTER. SHould be the 2nd or 3rd down, I'm not in front of it either now. But that option is in 17, I don't recall it being in 16 (might be my memory).

If you need or want to try something else, hit TAB and edit the grub line before boot.

try that, although it failed miserably for me. It looks as if the boot runs
using the VESA driver and then tries to use another X driver when bringing
up GNOME3. That's not proved yet, but the "throbbing meatball" boot

The normal graphical install just segfaults when it tries to load a module.

Regarding doing this across the network with VNC. First, there is no
networking enabled at the time the Xorg server starts, so it basically
fails before I have networking installed.

Second, VNC will only give me a remote view of what's currently on the
desktop, so I don't understand how that's going to help. Unless you
mean set my display to be my local PC?

Thanks again,
Alex

--