Re: laptops with 1200 vertical resolution

On 01/05/2013 02:20 PM, Tim wrote:
Tim:
I don't know about elsewhere, but here in Australia, high resolution TV
has been a bit of a flop.

R. G. Newbury:
HD will come. If you like sports you might hit on your local station to
broadcast Oz footie in HD.

We had a sports-only HD channel, that eventually caved in and stopped
being sports-only.  Sports would be a good example for a need for HD,
with all that text on the screen, and a tiny ball in a field of players.
Unfortunately, most large screen TVs are LCD, and they're crap at fast
motion (as a camera pans across the field, the screen is really blurry -
some of that's the MPEG compression, a lot of that is technology of an
LCD screen).

Digital TV has been the decimation of our television stations.  It cost
an outrageous fortune to replace the transmitter, and all the production
equipment, and our local stations have become little more than a relay
of Sydney television, just with local adverts and a tabloid excuse for a
news service.  Two of them have left their studios to shift to mere
office space.  Having to change to HD, just a few years later, is
another expense that the stations don't want.  Analogue equipment might
last twenty years, and not need endless fiddling.  Digital equipment
needs replacing every few years, and has required daily management by
engineering.

If you want to make a disaster, digitise/computerise it.

[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Wow Tim, You're still running FC9 on an internet connected device? I can understand why you don't accept email.

[mlapier@mushroom ~]$ uname -r
2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.i686

--
    _