Re: blacklisting domains for yum?

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/02/2013 08:19 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Allegedly, on or about 29 December 2012, Joel Rees sent:
>>> Could just be the time of the year, with more traffic than usual.
>> Definitely a possibility, particularly considering the timing. New
>> Year's morning here was impossible.
>>
>> But not for the whole net.
>>
>> Read in the newspapers there were some attacks in progress in the
>> Chinese segment around that time, so that might have also been part of
>> it.
>
> I live in Taiwan and work with folks in China.  No problems for me to connect and transfer files.  Also, my wife watches streaming video from China and she has had no problems during the times you were citing.  I avoided making any comments at that time since this lists isn't a forum for political or country bashing.  Even though they may not comment on this list, please note that folks in countries being bashed do read this list and some of them may take offense.

Thanks for the different point of view.

I should have been specific about the attacks being "cyber attacks" or
"internet attacks", but I didn't read the articles, just the
headlines, so, who knows?

Mea culpa. I'll look for the articles in the old newspaper pile if
you're interested in what was being said.

BTW, did you try pulling down updates on the 29th to 31st after about 11:00 pm?

All I know for sure is that yum on my netbook kept getting hung up
trying to read repositories on Chinese mirrors, so I installed
fastestmirror and blocked .cn domains, and that seemed to help.

It's the only box I have that runs Fedora right now.

apt-get on my Debian systems had no issues, neither was there any
particular problem getting to websites. Different set of mirrors. The
Fedora mirrors in China that seemed to hang me up were all university
mirrors. Possibilities that crossed my mind was that students were
celebrating on the 'net or that the government's filters were hard at
work against the universities. Saw the headlines the next day and
assumed there had been DOS and other attacks going on.

--
Joel Rees