Re: netbook vs tablet

On 11/23/2012 02:56 PM, JD wrote:
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fedora 17?  The page I reference seems to have F17 working somewhat
better than you report.
With a keyboard permanently attached ...

I might as well stay with Android.  I actually have to start working
with it for my day job.  I work for Verizon Enterprise Systems and my
research is leading me to working on some product development. Sigh.  I
LIKE research; kind of like Medcalf back at Xerox....
One of the problems with trying to drop Linux onto most tablets is the
complete lack of a real disk subsystem, just slow SD card interfaces.
That really hurts although it can still be usable.

Bad performance could be the result of 'less than optimal' SD cards.
Even slow-rated cards (Class 4) sometimes outperform fast (Class 10) cards
depending on what you do with them.  Checkout the following analysis:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12330898
I agree as far as SD card performance grade.
When you switch to the Extreme level of performance (45MB/s read/write),
you will see almost hard drive level of performance. Of course, you must
be aware of what happens to SD card when written to very often.
So I would suggest that you mount you /tmp and /var/tmp and your home dir
on some other drive.
I mounted all of /var on the SDD to include logs. But is there a way to mount /tmp and /var to the same partition? That is a major issue: how to figure out how large to make separate partitiions when there is so little space to work with!

As for /home, there is very little writing to /home. It is better to manage all frequent data on a USB drive.