Re: why does this rsync commands copy again the same files?

On 11/22/2012 01:55 PM, M. Fioretti wrote:
However, I do remember that this thing of having the trailing slash in
the source, but not in the destination, is something I have read in
many places as the thing to do, and this is the first time I hear
speaking against it.

The man page for rsync is clear on the topic:
"""
A trailing slash on the source changes this behavior to avoid  creating
an  additional  directory level at the destination.  You can think of a
trailing / on a source as meaning "copy the contents of this directory"
as  opposed  to  "copy  the  directory  by name"
"""
Putting a trailing slash on both directories will produce exactly the same behavior as not putting a trailing slash on the destination. Suggestions otherwise are mistaken. Putting a slash on both is very common, since it relieves users of needing to understand the more specific details of this behavior.

Back on topic, why do you think there may be some link between this
issue and the problem I see? My problem seems more due to some wrong
option, because a) it is the only problem I see, never had any filled
partition, and b) it is very, very constant. Sorry if I forgot to
specify this earlier, but if I run the command on two different
drives, both vfat, both times the folder(s) that are recopied are the
same.

Use --modify-window=1

vfat's time resolution is only 2 seconds, so about half of original files copied to vfat using rsync will have a timestamp that doesn't match. Since rsync uses size and modified time to decide whether or not to copy files (unless you specify -c), about half of your files will be rsynced every time you copy from ext4 to vfat.