Re: System fonts are all messed up ????

On 11/13/2012 12:04 PM, lee wrote:
Steve <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 11/10/2012 10:11 AM, Steve wrote:
F16 install, KDE, fully up to date.

Did an upgrade to F17 via the F17 DVD.

Now all the system fonts are messed up, size wise.  All of them are
way too large.

On the session login screen, for example, the font size in the
Username and Password fields are so big that the letters overflow
the height of the box.

This problem exists everywhere in the session where system fonts are
used.

Application fonts seem to be fine and are easily adjusted with
KDE->System Settings-> Application Appearance -> Fonts.

I cannot figure out where to adjust the size of the system fonts.

I have half a dozen Linux systems running F17, all upgraded via the
DVD and this is the only one with this problem.

What do I do to fix this issue ?

Thanks in advance.
Does anyone have ANY ideas on this issue ?
Not really, only I've seen today that there is /etc/X11/Xresources which
has some entries towards font sizes:

,----
| ! This is the global resources file that is loaded when
| ! all users log in, as well as for the login screen
|
| ! Fix the Xft dpi to 96; this prevents tiny fonts
| ! or HUGE fonts depending on the screen size.
| ! Xft.dpi: 96
|
| ! hintstyle: medium means that (for Postscript fonts) we
| ! position the stems for maximum constrast and consistency
| ! but do not force the stems to integral widths. hintnone,
| ! hintslight, and hintfull are the other possibilities.
| ! Xft.hintstyle: hintmedium
| ! Xft.hinting: true
`----

I commented them out because I'm using fontconfig settings and the X
server seems to figure out the DPI correctly by default.  I haven't
tested yet what difference it makes.  Anyway, the DPI setting might make
a difference for you.
I resolved this issue a few days ago. Consult the list for the solution, which was adding a line to the xorg.conf file forcing the fonts to be 96x96.