Re: Fedora support for laplets

Steve wrote:
On 11/11/2012 09:53 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
I see a lot of vendors are putting out hybrid tablet-laptops with a touch
screen which flips, and traditional keyboard, which can be used in a number of
ways, including as a tablet. Has anyone gotten experience with using Fedora on
such a machine, and if so how (if at all) was the touch feature supported?

I am running Fedora 17 on a Dell Duo that is a couple years old.

It shipped with Windows and it sucked.   I installed Fedora (15?) on it and it
came to life.  Its a really nice machine with it.

As far as the touch functionality, I had to install drivers manually back then,
but I believe that the kernel now ships with them natively. Touch just works in
F17, but it ceases to work if I put my Duo to sleep and then resume.   Whether
it works on your device depends on what hardware it has.

I don't know a whole lot about touch functionality in Fedora 17.  I haven't
played around with it much.  The problem with a touchscreen device is that as
soon as you want to do real work, it is soooo slow compared to a keyboard.   So
what I do is use touch for general browsing and such, but as soon as I want to
get serious about something I find myself flipping the keyboard open and typing
and using the mouse.

I've seen reasonably nice units from Dell and Lenovo, but no nice salespeople
who would let me boot them from thumb drive.
If you are referring to the new Dell Duo, I think that is one sweet machine.
I'd go for it.  If I didn't have an Android tablet, I'd go for the new Duo myself.

Have an Android tablet, and I do like it, some things are very nice with touch, while as you note, typing much or anything needing careful pointer control is poor. Wish I could run Android apps on Fedora with touch, for some things it's outstanding.

If you are looking for advanced tablet functionality, check out the new Plasma
Active release.  Rex put a build in the testing repository.  I haven't had a
chance to test it yet.

Sounds interesting, I would want to see how well it works before I bought the hardware, but that would be the right set of solutions for me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>