Re: Multiple default routes, same subnet

Hi other Fernando,

I have two internet links, from different ISPs for my office network,
each one with it's own router (which is a linux PC) so I don't loose
internet connectivity easily. One ISP has a much higher bandwitch, so
usually all my computers use it as the default gateway. The other one is
intended as a contingency link.
Another point of view for your problem. As one router/link is master and
the other is backup and both are linux PC, you can configure VRRP in the
LAN side of both of them using as virtual IP the IP configured as default
gateway in all your computers. You can have in the master router a script
that monitors the internet link and change the priority of the VRRP config
according with the status of the internet link.

I though of that and found a few howtos on google, but I also found those scripts a but unreliable and taking too long to switch from the primary link to the contingency one. It looks to me a reliable setup would be a real failover cluster, using LVS or pacemaker, something I'd like to avoid.

I'm having trouble finding info about VRRP, and iproute2 (policy routing) is proving to be a complex subject. Are they related, or can I use VRRP without iproute2?

My routers are not running Fedora. They run IPcop, a very nice trimmed-down Linux distro.

I hoped Linux computers would be able to detect a broken default gateway and use another one with a higher metric, bust this just dosen't work, no matter how many pages on the net say it should. :-(

[]s, Fernando Lozano

[]s, Fernando Lozano