Re: Help with pxe guest VM install

On 11/07/2012 11:35 AM, William Murray wrote:
  Dear list,
I have been trying to setup a PXE guess installation on Fedora 17 with no success. I build a bridge, and connect my VM to it but DHCP times out in the VM install. I don't know how to debug this bridge. I guess I could connect a 'live' machine to it,
but what then?

I follow:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt.html
and
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/sect-Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide-Guest_Installation-Installing_guests_with_PXE.html

These guides almost work. Two differences show up:
 brctl show
bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
br0        8000.14feb5b90f56    no        p5p1
virbr0        8000.525400da475b    yes        virbr0-nic

First make sure that ifcfg-br0 contains:
    DELAY=0
    as well as:
    STP=on
    which you have already shown is on.

When a new interface comes up on a switch or router, care needs to be taken so that the interface does not cause Spanning Tree issues. Even with fastboot enabled on switches and routers, there is a normal delay for STP. That delay may be just long enough to prevent pxe from getting a response. It is really an issue of a second or two.

Since the host is playing the role of the 'bridge', it is trying to play nice on your network, which is correct. However, since the host interface is already connected, a spanning tree issue is extremely unlikely and it is normal and desirable to turn off the STP delay.

You can confirm this behavior using tshark on the bridge interface.

Your second question is whether the network sees the VM MAC or the host MAC on that interface.

A network bridge device can have its own MAC and IP as well as pass other packets 'raw' through its bridged interfaces. Those bridged packets will not be wrapped and the VM client MAC(s) will appear in the MAC table on the switch for that interface. They will work exactly as if you had plugged the VM into the same switch as the host.

So your dhcp server for pxe needs to watch for the VM client interface data, not the host.

Good Luck!