Re: Blocked site -

On 19/10/12 09:29, Matthew J. Roth wrote:
Bob,

I get [using the opendns name servers again]:

   [bobg@box9 ~]$ dig @8.8.8.8 +short www.newegg.com
   208.91.197.27
   [bobg@box9 ~]$ dig @208.67.220.220 +short www.newegg.com
   208.91.197.27
   [bobg@box9 ~]$ dig @12.189.32.61 +short www.newegg.com
   208.91.197.27
The @IP tells dig which DNS server to query, so those commands are
querying Google (@8.8.8.8), OpenDNS (@208.67.220.220), and Wild Blue
(@12.189.32.61).  The fact that they all return 208.91.197.27 means
that your computers and your network are fine.

You're probably just encountering a stale DNS record.  DNS is a
distributed system with a lot of caching involved.  Due to that,
changes to DNS records do not propagate throughout the Internet
immediately.

Perhaps they respond differently as a function of the inquiring address?
That's a plausible explanation.

Ok that got me through to their "secure" site and I obtained the
number they requested and sent it back to them. I'll see what they
come up with.
Very good.  You may also want to let them know about the 208.91.197.27
response that your DNS queries were receiving.  It will work itself
out if it's a DNS change that hasn't propagated yet, but it could also
be something that they need to fix like a misconfiguration of their
authoritative name servers.

Remember to periodically try to access newegg.com without that line in
"/etc/hosts".  It's more of a workaround than an actual solution and
it will stop working if they drop the IP it references.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer

   Yes, your explanation seems to fit the symptoms exactly, the Newegg
   customer service rep seemed to be right on top of the problem and it
   would have been nice if she suggested the probable cause as you have
   but unfortunately our society seems to dumb down everything on the
   assumption that it's "too complicated." And maybe they are right, if
   nothing else explanations take time ... I certainly appreciated yours.

   As you suggest, I commented out the added line in /etc/hosts. Their
   page had begun to work normally this morning and it is still working
   with that line removed and Firefox restarted. I haven't rebooted ...

   I sent them the number which she said identified a server per her
   request but received no acknowledgment, whatever, the problem is
   gone after providing an interesting and educational episode for me.

   Thanks for the help.

   Bob

--

http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD