RE: att-uverse new, can't access internet

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 10:11 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> I don't really understand your response here.
> To repeat, the imac is working, apparently with full internet access,
> via *wired* connection.  The prior use of wireless internet on the imac,
> has been turned off.

Well, (a) I'm not really sure where you trying to use this 10-digit key,
and (b) even wired links can use encryption or require some form of
authentication.  Granted, that it's not common for wired links to be set
up that way, but it is possible to do so.

> the data in resolv.conf appear correct.
>
> bash-3.2$ dig ns1.pacbell.net
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> ns1.pacbell.net
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 2897
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;ns1.pacbell.net.               IN      A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> pacbell.net.            7200    IN      SOA     ns1.pbi.net. postmaster.pbi.net. 2012100300 3600 900 604800 7200
>
> ;; Query time: 1071 msec
> ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.254#53(192.168.1.254)
> ;; WHEN: Wed Oct  3 09:26:10 2012
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 88
>
> Does this tell me anything? is ns1.pbi.net a DNS number I could/should use?
> In addition to the two I now have?

It tells you that there isn't a ns1.pacbell.net, as there is no "answer"
section  in the results from dig.

The question section lists what your query was.
The authority section tells you who responded.
The answer section would tell you your answer, but there is no answer,
and therefore no IP for the asked about address.

i.e. There is no ns1.pacbell.net

However, in the results that you got back, the authority section tells
you about ns1.pbi.net being the start of authority (SOA) for name
serving for pacbell.net.  So, there's a chance that you can use
ns1.pbi.net as a name server.  But...

1. It may be that they don't let their customers directly access that
name server.  It may only be that *that* name server provides the
records for their own domain names, and doesn't work as a resolver for
all addresses on the internet.  Try it, and see if it works for you.

2. You want to put the numerical IP address for it into your resolv.conf
file, not the fully qualified domain name.

dig ns1.pbi.net
;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns1.pbi.net.		172539	IN	A	206.13.28.11

Try using 206.13.28.11 as one of your nameserver, and see how you go.

The other way to find out name servers on an ISP, is to ask for the NS
records for a domain name.

e.g. dig pacbell.net NS
;; ANSWER SECTION:
pacbell.net.		172800	IN	NS	ns1.pbi.net.
pacbell.net.		172800	IN	NS	ns2.pbi.net.

Again, the same thing I brought up in point 1 stands.  They could just
be the holders for domain records for packbell.net own addresses.  You'd
have to try querying those name servers for other (outside) addresses,
to see if they work.

> I did pull the new modem power cable,
> after plugging back in the system took a while to come fully on.
> No help on internet:
> trying to start google chrome, still getting message invalid DNS.

Which tends to suggest that whatever name servers are configured in your
resolv.conf files, they're not providing answers to the programs on your
computer, namely your browser, when the browser queries addresses.

If the dig tool, on the same computer, does work.  i.e. If trying to web
browse to www.example.com produces an invalid DNS error message in your
browser, but doing "dig example.com" does come up with an IP, that
suggests another problem with your network set up.

Such as, the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, which has a "hosts:" section that
lists how names will be looked up.  Usually, it said files then dns,
which means first look in the /etc/hosts file, then try a DNS query.

e.g. hosts: files dns

Or that your browsers are configured to go through a proxy, and that
proxy is not working.

> It seems I don't need to correct faults in the DNS numbers,
> so does it still make sense to  restart NetworkManager?
> Exactly how would I restart it?
> -- chkconfig?
> -- some systemd command?

In ye olde days, it was "service NetworkManager restart", but I haven't
played with restarting services on the newer versions of Fedora to
remember the incantation.  If there's a GUI tool installed that lists
all your services, there will be a way to stop/start/restart it from
with there.

> I did pull the new modem power cable,
> after plugging back in the system took a while to come fully on.
> No help on internet:
> trying to start google chrome, still getting message invalid DNS.

Do all browser programs on that computer fail?  Have you quit and
restarted the browser since pulling the modem cable?  Browser tend to
cache DNS results, themselves.  So if they've got an answer, once, they
don't bother asking the DNS server again, for the same IP.  Sometime
they can get stuck, if the first answer failed.

Do other things work?  How are you doing email, at the moment?

If you have some DNS server addresses to try out, try them with the dig
tool (e.g. dig www.example.com), and see if you get valid answers.

When you find working ones, you can put them in your resolv.conf file.
You need at least one, I think it currently supports up to three.  The
first one will always be asked first, the next ones only get asked if
the prior ones fail to respond.  List the quickest DNS server first.

You do not have to use DNS servers provided by your ISP, some ISP's have
really awful ones.  A number of people use Google's DNS servers, Google
has called 8.8.8.8 a public DNS server, so it's a fairly safe bet that
you're allowed to use it.  You can even run your own one, but I'd try
getting working servers from someone else, first, before going down the
route of configuring your own DNS server.

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file for a "hosts:  files dns" line,
that's the usual working set of instructions for it.  Check that there
isn't another conflicting "hosts:" line in it.

Check whether you browse through proxies.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.