Re: preserving partitions during reinstall

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 11:39 +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:47:25AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:08:47PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > >
> > > The point is that *none* of the Ananconda install options:
> > >     Use all space
> > >     Replace Existing Linux System(s)
> > >     Shrink current system
> > >     use Free space
> > >     Create custom layout
> > > will read the existing partitioning of vg_pigeon and present that to you
> > > as a default; they all either suggest a completely new set of defaults, or
> > > in the case of custom, present no defaults at all.
> > >
> > > Or to put it another way, missing from that list of install options above,
> > > seems to be:
> > >     Keep existing Linux partitioning
> > >

> > You say your original partitioning was custom partitioning, then how do
> > you expect Anaconda will figure it out without help?  The way to do what
> > you want would be to enter custom partitioning, not delete any of the
> > existing partitions, specify the appropriate mount points (again only
> > you know this, no way Anaconda can figure this out), and then continue
> > with your upgrade as usual.
>
> Sigh.. Let me repeat myself again.
>
> I expect an option within anaconda that will *inspect* the existing
> partitioning layout of a device, and present that to me as the new
> default. Anaconda has the ability to examine the vg_pigeon device, and
> see that there are 3 partitions on it, last mounted as /, /home and swap.
>
> *None* of the options, including custom, present me with the original
> partition sizes. The best I could do in principle would be, before the
> reinstall, to note the existing partition dimensions, then in anaconda,
> manually create 3 partitions on the cg_pigeon device, not format the one
> corresponding to /home, then hope and pray that when I specify /home as
> being XXXMb, that anaconda treats this in the same way as before in terms
> or rounding to nearest cylinder etc.
>
> Or to come at the question from another angle:
>
> I have a system with a reasonably straightforward layout:
> 1 disk, split into two physical partitions; the first holds /boot, the
> 2nd is an encrypted LVM volume that has 3 partitions: /, swap /home.
> I want to install a new release of the OS (overwriting / and /boot), while
> preserving /home. How can I do that in a simple and safe manner?
>
> --
> The Enterprise successfully ferries an alien VIP from one place to another
> without serious incident.
>     -- Things That Never Happen in "Star Trek" #7

I am not sure why you could not do what you want to do with a variation
of the following process. tar up the partition you want to save before
you install the new version. Then after installation restore the saved
material using tar -k to the appropriate new partition.