Re: Cargo Cult sysadmining

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 16:44 +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Reinstalling a program on Linux is almost always useless.
> If a "rpm -V" comes out clean, you will not get very far
> with a reinstall.
>
> On Windows it usually works because of poor handling of
> dependencies and DLL-hell (reinstalling forces your pieces
> in place again) and because installation and configuration
> are always blended together [reinstall => lose (damaged) settings].

My impression of ye olde windows self destructive tendencies suggested
the following:

   Windows would open system/program files in a write mode, that it
should have just opened in read mode.  Upon a crash, said file could
often be destroyed.  Why else would some driver file for your graphics
card, sound card, or whatever else, disappear in a crash?  The file
should have been loaded, long ago, and the file on the disc ignored
until the next boot.

   Post crash, Windows' automatic file system checking seemed to take
the action of simply deleting files it couldn't read, no attempt at
recovery, nor informing the user of what it's done.  Files would
mysteriously disappear, and you'd only find out when you/it couldn't
load them later on.

No other explanations seem to fit why things disappeared, and what
happened next.

Re-installing on Linux rarely seems to be the answer, since mysteriously
disappearing files are rarely the problem, and a reinstall is just going
to put the same files onto the drive as you've already got
(configuration customisation notwithstanding).  You're quite unlikely to
accidentally remove a system/program file, because your own files are in
a completely different location, and you don't have write/delete
permissions for the system/program files (unless you're *STUPID* enough
to run as root).

If you have failing hardware that caused files to be fouled up (RAM,
motherboard, dying hard drive, et cetera), faults are going to recur,
and reinstalling is never going to fix that problem.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.