Re: failed f16 preupgrade, now stuck in grub2 rescue, can't exit

On 08/05/2012 08:48 PM, jackson byers wrote:
[additional info from OP:

I want to emphasize what I didn't explicitly say in my post:

I can of course hit the power button,
but when powering back up I only get back to
the original fail message:

    GRUB loading
    Welcome to GRUB!

    error: no such device:  8f24…blahblah
    Entering rescue mode …

    grub rescue >

So I have no way to boot my other f14.

That 8f24… is the UUID of the f14 partition on USB
that I was trying to preupgrade to f16.

presumably, "no such device" because that partition
is sda2 on external USB, which grub2 can't see.

That original f14 was overwritten by the preupgrade--
it was clear that the process had got close to final steps.

But that 8f24 partition, has since been reformatted
in my frantic steps trying at least to get out of
this   "grub rescue >"  jail.

--
Another peculiarity:

when i boot up with an old knoppix cd
and examine the system with its legacy grub

grub > root (hd0,
        root (hd1,
        root (hd2,

hd0 is the external USB
hd1, hd2 are my two scsi internal disks.

what is odd is that "grub root (hd0,"  can see the USB
which is not my previous experience
using the knoppix legacy grub on this system--
then, only the two internal disks were seen.

It's as if my garbaged preupgrade to a grub2 system
has somehow modified the behavior of
what legacy "grub > " sees !!??

If I were to attempt to reinstall
the legacy grub bootloader  to MBR of first internal disk
using knoppix cd:

  root (hd2,8)  <<<9th partition on 3rd disk seen by "grub >"
  setup (hd1)   <<< mbr of 1st internal disk

(my grub data-only partition is number 9 on 2d internal disk)

BUT,
the mbr install was previously done
using this same knoppix cd

when the USB was not visible to "grub >"
so then the original commands were:

  root (hd1,8)   <<< 9th partition on 2d internal disk
  setup (hd0)    <<< mbr of 1st internal disk

As it now stands I am completely baffled.
I would like to hear comments from the list
before trying either of above.

I don't mind so much the failure at the near end
of the preupgrade;
I knew I had to jump thru some hoops because
or my system not being able to boot from USB,
but this mess!?

Jack
Although I'm no Fedora or Linux guru by ANY stretch of the imagination, I would have to just echo and agree with just about all the other posts I've seen for this issue....dude, a straight fresh install should be the solution....I don't think there's anything that will help something as ugly as this beautiful disaster you're describing. Blow away WHATEVER"S on the HDD and start fresh, and I wouldn't even go with a USB-type, I'd go "old school" and get a DVD burned iso image and install it THAT way, at least THIS way, you'd be assured of getting the LATEST version of Fedora without any glitches to your install.

EGO II