Re: F16 - Adding a second video card

On 07/15/2012 11:08 PM, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
On 07/15/2012 10:05 PM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
I have an older motherboard/processor (Intel DG965RY with a Pentium D)
the system has an integrated video adapter (82G965) and I'd like to
add a second video Card (PCI card ATI RAGE IIC) I'm not looking for
fast video but would like to use 2 monitors.

I put the ATI card in the machine and an lshw shows the card:

-display UNCLAIMED
product: 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC]
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc

When I first booted the system with the card, the BIOS made the ATI
card the primary and once X started the system went blank, changed the
bios to force the integrated card to be primary and everything works
as before, however I don't know how to tell X that there is a second
video card and to start using it.

What's the magic command that I'm unable to find? From the GUI I've
checked displays under system settings but I only see my integrated
video interface, and "detect displays" produces nothing but the
existing display.

You may need to install the Mach64 X driver, and/or force the kernel to
load the appropriate drive before X starts.
There is a two-level complication to graphics under Linux.
Then you may need to generate a real xorg.conf file so that X sees both
cards,
It has been a while since I did two monitor setups, but I thing "X
-configure" may do most of the work once the
kernel module is loaded.

HTH

Many older MoBos will not support two video cards. When you plug a video card in the expansion slot it disables the integrated one. This is not an issue with Linux but with the MoBo.

If you must have dual monitor support you will have to track down a video card that will support dual monitors. Most dual monitor video cards will not be supported by older MoBos either because they require high speed slots that are not available on the older MoBos. You will run into the same problem if you try to install a Gb network card. Not enough band width is available on the older MoBo to support those cards.

--
    _
   °v°