Re: And don't let the door hit you on the way out

On 07/03/2012 06:10 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
You can say whatever snarky things you want to about Windows (and no one
enjoys trashing Microsoft and its straight out of a Pixar movie
management more than I do),

I'm not being snarky. There are a number of things that Windows does well, or that only work there. As an example, my sister used Ubuntu on her desktop, but she also has a laptop running XP. One of the reasons she needs it is the fact that some of the programs she needs to use for her school work are Windows-specific and don't run properly for her under Wine. And, of course, many of the best games don't run well under Wine. When people ask me about Linux, I tell them why I use it. Then, I tell them that if they're comfortable with Windows or if they need Windows-specific programs, there's no reason for them to change.

However, there are also a number of (to me, at least) things that Windows doesn't handle correctly. If it had a proper security model there's be far less malware out there. Yes, I understand that one of the reasons there's so much is simply the fact that it has the biggest user base and many of them either don't have a clue about securing their boxes or don't bother. And, from what I gather (I don't use it at all, except at a club I belong to where the computers are all Windows boxes.) even if you do take precautions, keeping your computer clean is a constant battle. If Microsoft would do their job properly, you should be able to put a newly-installed box on-line and not have to worry about it getting infected before you can download and install the anti-virus software. And that's a shame, really, because I find it hard to believe that it's impossible to have the installation program lock the system down so that this type of thing doesn't work.

Remember, Windows is designed as an OS for the masses, and it's designed to be used mostly by people with no real understanding of computers or how they work. Would you really want Linux to follow down that path?