Re: F17 XDMCP

On 06/26/2012 09:54 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
> Installing xrdp installed the package but it arrived disabled in systemd - grrr: a
> tad user aggressive - if the aim is to make Fedora more user accessible then
> installing a service should enable and start it. It fails to show up in the
> "Service Configuration" applet until I used bash to tell systemd that its enabled.
> I don't see how to use the Enable and Disable function in "Service Configuration"
> because a service needs to be enabled before it shows up. Gnome 3 runs in fall-back
> mode in xrdp - a good reason to use X.

Well, IMO, server software should default to disabled.  It is not unusual for users
(novices and even experienced) to install server side software they aren't going to
use...at least initially.  To have them default to start seems a good choice.  This
is especially true when you probably should alter any default configurations.

I personally don't find it difficult to enter "systemctl enable some.service" and
"systemctl start some.service".  I am sure there will be a GUI some day.

As for GNOME in fallback mode.  I don't use GNOME....but my impression is that it
needs certain functionality in the graphics that I'm not sure will work in any remote
environment.

> Vnc does not look too bad in this instance, although in an MS environment I find
> that the image quality often lacking.

I've only found that to be true when using the defaults.

> I have been used to using XDMCP with *nix systems for years it seems a pity to
> remove the function that could/might be kept. I could ask the question the other
> way, how does removing XDMCP functionality further Fedora's cause?

I've not used XDMCP in years.  I think part of the reason I moved away from it is
that when I do "remote" it can be *remote* and the performance over low bandwidth or
high latency links was lacking.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage