Re: f17 x86_64 :: yumex broken

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 11:14:17 +0300, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:

> On 06/24/12 10:57, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:24:38 +0300, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> >
> >> Hi! It seems that yumex in broken in f17..
> >> i try to start it and i have this :
> >>
> >> [root@t420 bin]# yumex --root
> >
> >> GError: Failed to open file '/bin/yumex.glade': No such file or directory
> >>
> >> i put a symlink from /usr/share/yumex/yumex.glade in /bin and in the
> >
> >> i have did :
> >> ln -s /usr/share/pixmaps/yumex /gfx
> >>
> >> but still the same error .. is this going to be fixed or yumex is dead
> >> in f17?
> >

> > ???
> >
> > You are not supposed to mess with your installation by adding lots
> > of strange symlinks. Why don't you examine the package _as is_ and
> > simply report any problem?
>
> then just read the first part of mail ...

I've seen your other replies, too, so just some comments on this one:

Reading the first part of the mail doesn't change a thing. You've run into
an error condition, and you should have stopped right there, tried a
downgrade, and should have reported the problem in bugzilla (or searched
bugzilla for existing tickets about it). Searching for a Test Update
would have also been an idea and mentioning that you've found none.

> the fact that /bin/yumex.glade is not found ...

An obvious error, but why spend time on trying to make it worse with
symlinks? If at all, you could have tried to find out _why_ it searches
for the .glade file in /bin which would be a very strange location for
that file.

> is it something particular to my system?

That's a completely different question compared with your first message:

  | but still the same error .. is this going to be fixed
  | or yumex is dead in f17?

The tone of that message clearly indicates that you believed it to be a
bug in yumex, and you showed lack of patience, since asking whether yumex
would be "dead in f17" sounds much as if the problem has bugged you for
more than the last few minutes before your mail.

Asking whether anyone can reproduce the problem is not a bad idea.
However, imagine another user answered that he couldn't reproduce the
problem. What does that tell about your system? Not much, except that
you've got a system where yumex fails. Why does it fail? Only you could
conclude whether that is because you've damaged your system, e.g. with
symlinks. ;) Or because yumex find an environment/installation where it
doesn't work because of a bug in the software. Then somebody would need
to investigate, too.

All too often, somebody confirms a bug on a mailing-list, but nobody
takes the time to report it.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.4.3-1.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.93 0.31 0.22