Re: DNS resolver configuration

On 15.06.2012 10:20, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/15/2012 03:54 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> Thanks for your interest. I'm confused more and more now.
>>
>> I've installed Wireshark to see what's going on behind the scene and
>> here is a brief info of DNS related packets:
>>
>> 1) My IP -> router: standard query A <wrong domain name>
>> 2) router -> My IP: standard query response, No such name
>> 3) My IP -> router: standard query A <wrong domain name>.<my domain
>> added here>
>>
>> It looks like resolver is trying to give me the result very hard. Now
>> I've no idea how to fix this because I already have /etc/resolv.conf
>> containing the single nameserver line.
>>
>> With trailing dot it stops after step 2 - the expected result.
>>
>> It happens on two Fedora 17 boxes, one managed by Network Manager and
>> second with network service.
> I would expect the behavior in step #3 if the search or domain parameters are set in
> /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> They should both "No such name".    When the trailing . is added it is simply saying
> that the host.domain-name is absolute and the value in search or domain should not be
> applied.
>
> What is more curious to me is why when you enter "ping furdishcamp.com" you are
> getting the IP address of your system.  I think that is what you are saying.

Yes, every nonexistent domain name is evaluated to <no such domain>.<my
domain> which then resolves to my public IP (it is a wildcard dns record
in action I think). That explains why domain name with trailing dot
wasn't glued with my domain (two dots in FQDN are nonsense). I have no
such behavior on Debian box without serach line explicitly set in
/etc/resolve.conf. I also checked that on Windows boxes just to be sure
it isn't DNS config related issue. I'm not suspecting wrong DNS
configuration. I'm close to begin investigation of source code of
libbind package because grepping over my file system didn't return
anything related to configuration of resolver that might be useful.

Mateusz Marzantowicz