Re: bug on fedora 17: login screen doesn't show up

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 10:32:08AM -0500, Jeff Gipson wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 10:24:23PM +0800, Fajrian Yunus wrote:
hi all,

asking for help. whenever i start my computer, by the time i (supposedly)
reach the login screen, i'm only shown the background image, WITHOUT the
login box. i can see the background image (fireworks image), i can see my
mouse cursor, and i can move my mouse around. but the login box is nowhere
to be found. HOWEVER, if i make my computer sleep, then turn it on again,
immediately the login box shows up and i can login without problem. i
reinstalled my fedora 17, it's still like this. interestingly, when i
install my fedora 17 as virtual machine (i use kvm), the problem doesn't
show up at all.

any help is appreciated.

thank you :D

	### End of Message from Fajrian Yunus ###

This is *similar* to an issue I'm having (or had) with F16 and F17, and possible related. I get the login (GDM, I suppose) fine, but after entering my password, the login dialog disappears and I'm left with the fireworks background as well. No session starts. I have to kill X to get back out. I had to resort to using the multiuser.target and running startx. I've updated the OS via yum since the initial F17 upgrade, and reset the default.target to graphical.target, and haven't had the problem recur, but I'm not confident that the problem won't resurface.

--
×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×-×
 Jeffrey A. Gipson

	### End of Message from Jeff Gipson ###

Following up to my own message here; It turns out that my woes were caused by something in my bash_profile. Tmux. I was running 'tmux list-sessions' in bash_profile to notify me of any lingering tmux sessions when I login. Turns out that when I boot the system, login, open a gnome-terminal and start a tmux session, IF I don't end the tmux session before exiting the gnome-session then I can't get another gnome sessions, until I killall tmux or drop to multiuser.target, attach to my tmux session and close out the tmux session.

This was never an issue when getting a gnome session via startx. Only when logging in via GDM.

Someone else had this problem with F15:
http://serverfault.com/questions/345179/how-to-debug-dotfiles-causing-gdm-login-to-gnome-3-to-fail

HTH

--