Password issues

Hi There,

Just a rant, nothing more. I know the solution.

I like Linux (Fedora in particular) because my computer doesn't tell me what I can and can not do - I tell the computer what to do.

Today, I decide to change my own user password into something that's easier to type (through the settings -> user accounts dialogue). Lovely feature has this thing; I want to set on my own computer a password of my liking, and I am in charge of that, okay? Stupid machine!

"Error: The password is too simple, please choose another one!"

Well fark me! Me not liking that at all. This computer holds few important things, this computer is under lock and key - it's harder to get to it than to crack a decent password so why the fark would I want a difficult password??? I understand the rationale behind this error message, but I don't believe it's the government's duty to protect the stupid from harm. If you willingly go against all common sense and die, well - it's your own stupid farking fault. And so I don't believe the dev's of Fedora, or Gnome, or anyone else is responsible for people dumb enough to stick an easy to guess password in their bank account. If I lose my money because my password is too easy to hack, there's nobody to blame but me. Advice is great; thank you ("Users and Groups" dialogue) for warning me that my password is too weak - do you really want to take that risk? Yes, please - my own responsibility.

Anyway, there is an easy workaround. And this is the first thing I encounter in F17 that irks me. For the rest - I absolutely adore it. Love it. Great. Everything is getting better all the time.Thank you for this great OS, with a feature built in to protect people who are too stupid to own a computer. I mean, if you're smart enough to step away from Windoze and are able to familiarize yourself with any flavour of Linux, I'm certain you've heard of clever passwords. If I wanted a nanny, I'd get a sexy one - not a digital one.

Thank you for reading. Have a good day.

--
Greetz,

Roelof Kusters
aka Ben

The internet isn't a highway, it's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it draws you in.

Do read my blog! It's more entertaining than my emails: http://my.opera.com/bentrein