Re: The death of Hibernate?

Am 17.05.2012 23:22, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
>>> I don't consider Fedora suitable for a server.
>>
>> your opinion
>
> and I suspect that of most people who have to make this choice.
>
>> if you need a recent software stack and have to
>> compile all things at your won while libraries
>> are outdated you are going through hell
>
> I find CentOS-6 has everything I need on a server.
> I don't feel any urge to re-compile libraries.
> I have complete confidence that RedHat will do this for me if necessary.
> If I want to do anything fancy I do it on a laptop.

currently this may be true
version 6 is quite recent

but what in 5 years?

if you need newer PHP, MySQL, Postfix, DBmail, Apache
you have a problem even with compile it at your own
because you can not solve build-deps

caused by the large jumps you can usually not upgrade
a CentOS installation and having a lot of machines
and renstall them all few years is not funny

on the other hand i have here 20 fedora servers which
are beoming more over the time based on the same
goldenmaster with a identical coresystem installed with
F9 and currently on F16, they are all hardly tuned
and optimizd for exatcly their needs and replace hardware
is a single click to move them uninterrupted

dist-upgrades are a topic in virtual environments

as i installed them all you needed VMware Tools
for basic paravirtualized hardware which is in
the meantime in the upstream.kernel

another example now for phyical hardware:
kernel 3.4 will support replace  a RADI10 with bigger
disks and expand the RAID volumes - you will never
see this in CentOS6, with fedora in a few weeks it is
possible