Re: nscd and DNS cache

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/16/2012 11:47 PM, JD wrote:
>> Interesting point. Hard to believe that  most domain controllers would that.
>> Must be a small  percentage?
>
> I have no idea what percentage it may be.  But 300 seems a bit low....
>
> I'd have to do some research but it very well may be that sites set their TTL's low
> in an attempt to balance DNS server load with load balancing (round robin) of their
> web sites.
>
> It seems that the TTL for www.cnn.com is set to 150 seconds.
>
> I'd have to check....  But when you do a look up on www.cnn.com it will return 4 IP
> addresses.  Now, since bind would have that in its cache it wouldn't have to send out
> a query.  What I don't know is if an application would make a request would the list
> be returned in the same order every time to the requesting application?   In other
> words, if the TTL is not set low, would that defeat the round robin technique.
>
> Interesting things to investigate.....if I really had the time.
>
> --
> Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke
> of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage
> --

Try it with the google domain addresses. I believe they use short ttl times.
I know that by testing one of their addresses and nailing it in my hosts file.
After a short time, maybe 5 minutes, connecting to google.come would take
forever or even not connect at all.
But even this experience does not necessarily say where the problem really is.
Sometimes our router really starts incurring very long delay times for
connection
on one of our machines, while others seem to breeze by. Biggest problems
we have seen in the house is with wireless connections.
In spite of each machine showing 100% signal strength,  connection times
are considerably longer than the hard wired machine.