Re: iptables recent / more than one exception

On 2012/05/04 02:57, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 04.05.2012 11:37, schrieb jdow:
But, then, I note your setting with --recent is not nearly as stringent as
mine. Any given address gets one connection per minute to ssh. That VASTLY
slows down dictionary attacks. Yours is a significant slow down; but, not
so much that somebody could not, as you put it, nibble around the edges to
get in. You have slowed down such attacks, though. That is good.

It would be handy if there was an iptables rule that allowed skipping the
next rule in order if the special rule hit. Alas, I am unaware of such a
trick potential.

my sshd has a sepearte rule

the intention of this rule is not to block
it is a rate-control against DOS attacks

since we had "Anonymous" with a distributed DOS attack last
week i can say it works damned good - after replacing a
burned down router :-)

clearly you can not stand the whole DDOS from some thousand
source IPs but it gives you enough time to filter them for
a DROP rule - without this ratecontrol you could not
operate on the machine

before the DDOS it was limited to 100 connections/ip/second
which results in "ab -c 50 -n 50000 http://host-on-machine/";
raise CPU load up to 100% for a short time, go down to 50%
and changing between this both states (sorry baout bad english)

with 75 instead of 100 evebn a "ab -c 4 -n 1000" is completly
broken from outside the own network because "apache benchmark"
thinks the host is dead after 83 connections and stops due too
many errors - well, i guess exactly that is the problem for
Nessus/OpenVAS and such software from outside now

they triggered it all time before with portscans but only
not notice

What happens with something like this (PDL sorta kinda)?

while( 1 )
{
	"ab -c 4 -n 50"
	Sleep( 2 )
}

I don't know nessus. I am guessing that "-n 1000" part means 1000 trials
and it's running as fast as it can go. The idea is to test up to your
DDOS limit, wait 2 seconds, repeat. Can the test be hacked to keep your
system at its limit but not over its limit?

{^_^}