Re: Can't kill hung remote CP copy

On 04/14/2012 04:11 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
Under what circumstance would killing a waiting process
be worse than a process that should have waited,
but terminated instead?
When it leaves the system in an unstable state or where corruption could
follow. Far better then to leave that process stuck unless things sort
out.

But, drivers can also be reset. And resetting a driver should, in theory, reset the hardware. So a system should never be left in an unstable state. But, what if there are other requests pending of that same hardware? The only alternative is to invalidate those requests and issue an I/O error. But the app-handlers should catch these and deal with them reasonably.

Then there's the question of what could require an infinite amount of time for a driver to return? How long will a human wait? I can't think of a request that isn't bounded by some physical time limit except for a requested sleep alarm. And I can't think of a request that I'm willing to wait on for 3 days. There really shouldn't be a "wait-forever" state because that just means "wait until the user powers me off". I think all states should be bounded. At least bounded from the standpoint of returning to user-level for further action (either re-invocation of the wait or exiting). Let the app-layer determine what to do if the lower level can't do something - the app-layer is free to re-invoke the kernel request.

  Shane