Re: Can't kill hung remote CP copy

On 04/14/2012 12:40 PM, jdow wrote:
As long as that is enabled in the BIOS it will perform a hard
shutdown. Of course, if the heart is racing sometimes it is wise to tell
the
poor victim, hold it in for 30 seconds or until the computer shuts down.

Back when I was on the phone, you sometimes needed to power down a computer, leave it off long enough for the RAM to go blank and then turn it on. I never told them how long to leave their computer off; I had them turn it off, counted quietly to fifteen (or watched my watch) and then told them to turn it back on. Probably, if I'd had to do what you suggest, I'd have them push AND HOLD the power button while I counted off the seconds. The advantage, of course, is the fact that my emotions aren't involved, so I'm more likely to get the count right.

And, to comment on something in your other post, there was a time, when I was doing senior tech support, that I was very impatient with junior techs who didn't see, understand or do things I considered obvious. Then I realized that most of them didn't have the experience to be aware of these things and that it wasn't fair of me to expect them to know most of what I did. I suspect that I was much, much easier to work with after that, although I'm sure that the Zoloft helped.