Re: ThinkPad microphone not working

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:30:37 +0200
suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Also try booting to an older kernel (from before the problem), if
> > you have one.
> >

> I had tried this with no success. If it was a driver issue booting to
> a kernel from before the problem started should have worked, but it
> didn't.. But then I tried an old F15 Live USB (kernel 2.6.38), and it
> works! So my hardware is actually okay. :)

Excellent!

> It seems to me some bad settings are being cached somewhere; which
> would also explain why booting to an older kernel also fails. Do you
> have any ideas where these might be?

Do you have alsa-utils installed?  There is a program called alsactl in
that package that allows you to store sound device settings (as root),
and it says in the man page that it puts them in
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state.
So you should be able to delete that file and alsa should then revert
to a default configuration and be settable.  If it then works, you can
use alsactl to save the working configuration. I'm not convinced this
will work, since it doesn't sound like you altered that file from when
it was working. But maybe something else changed it.

amixer is also in that package, lower level than alsamixer, to look at
all the settings. And you could try running the alsa-info.sh program
from the alsa web site,
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
to get a printout in prettier format than amixer.

If the above don't yield a solution to your problem, is it possible to
check the state file on the F15 live, and somehow get a copy of that
into your current installed OS?  Or run amixer or alsa-info.sh and look
at a diff with your current system.