Re: How to copy text selected by gpm from a tty to some gnome-session?

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 20:16, stan <gryt2@xxxxx> wrote:
> But that would imply that it should work, because gpm works just fine
> in X.  I can select text by double clicking with the mouse, and paste
> it with the middle button, just like in a console.  It even shares
> across workspaces, just like it shares across consoles, and within
> screen instances in the console.  From the behavior, it seem that gpm
> has a separate buffer for the consoles and X.  Or X is just emulating
> gpm behavior.

The behaviour you describe is standard X selection behaviour. It is
there irrespective of whether you use gpm. From the package description,
I see that gpm is meant for text consoles (as in ttys).

Name        : gpm
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 1.20.6
Release     : 21.fc16
Size        : 402 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : updates
Summary     : A mouse server for the Linux console
URL         : http://www.nico.schottelius.org/software/gpm/
License     : GPLv2+

Description : Gpm provides mouse support to text-based Linux
applications like the
            : Emacs editor and the Midnight Commander file management
system.  Gpm
            : also provides console cut-and-paste operations using the mouse and
            : includes a program to allow pop-up menus to appear at
the click of a
            : mouse button.

> I haven't tried the screen idea suggested by the other poster yet.
> That is a little more work than just clicking and pasting, but for
> occasional use would be fine.

I don't see what work is involved with screen. Just start your session
on any terminal like this:

$ screen -S <somename> # this is not necessary, but nice if you do

Then later on any terminal, either within a terminal emulator in X or in
a proper tty, you can do

$ screen -ls

to list your screen sessions and

$ screen -r <session_name>