Re: netbook compatibility

Chris Kottaridis wrote:
I've never used a netbook before but am looking at the
Eee PC 1215N-PU27

I want as much portability as possible, but I also want it to have full
Linux capabilities, so tablets are out for now. Specifcally, I want to
run Linux as the base OS and use vmware to run Windows as a virtual
machine when needed. When I checked out netbooks a couple of years ago I
didn't see anything I thought could handle that. This looks like it
might be able to do that.

It has:
Atom D525 dual-core 1.8 GHz (with hyperthreading can have 4 threads)
2 GB RAM, expandable to 4 GB (I'd do this upgrade)
Bluetooth
Wireless N
HDMI port
3 USB ports
12.1" screen HD resolution
500 GB Hard Disk

I currently have three ATOM based devices. They all run Linux 64bit fine, none have hardware virtualization. For what you are doing, I suspect that vmware, virtualbox, or just qemu (the non-hardware emulator) would work fine, since the user process runs directly on the CPU, not by emulation. I booted XP once for a goof, it worked as well as XP ever does, haven't tried Win7.

I've been very happy with these, although FC16, or rather GNOME3, does have one real drawback, based on a sample size of four laptops, none have working "edge of the touchpad is scroll wheel" functionality, which really rots. Worked on FC14, works with Mint, doesn't with GNOME3. YMMV.

Love my netbook, don't know what the battery life is, but I have used it for all day, forgot and suspended overnight rather than hibernate, and it still ran for about two hours and had power left. First portable I have ever owned I take without the charger. Don't need it.

Good luck with your little machine, I think you're going to love it.
It gets shipped with 64 bit Windows 7, but I'd prefer to run Fedora 16
and then run Windows as a Virtual Machine when needed.

Anyone have any experience running Fedora 16 on this machine ?

Also, I suppose I can connect an external DVD player via USB to do an
install that way. I prefer to install from DVD's rather then the network
and I assume a netbook can boot from a USB device.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>