Gnome vs XFCE - Multiseat & window focus

Hi All,
I see a nice healthy discussion on these DEs - please can someone with actual experience give me some guidance.

As an Ububtu user, I am following this list because F17 will have "native" multiseat support. My staff run 1 (and only 1) application in Linux: A proprietary GIS package, to do spatial data capture. Nothing else.

I've been using Ubuntu 6.06 only because multiseat was stable. I believe that Gnome messed that up so lately I've been using single seat boxes with Ubuntu 11.10, but the screen focus is annoyingly different. Yes I have tried different "preference" settings.

So, my questions are:

Does XFCE work in multiseat mode (or must it too wait for the F17 drivers/methodology) Which screen-focus methodology does XFCE use? (Like the older Gnome, or the newer Gnome)

More on Screen Focus:
The GIS package is NOT a GUI package, but rather a bunch of commands you can string together in BASH-syntax-like scripts that run within the package. I make heavy usage of one command that allows you to position the mouse somewhere on the graphics output screen, and then either click, or touch a key on the keyboard. This command then returns "button X Y" which you can trap, and then do further processing in your script. In other words, I now have a 104-button mouse. In the older Gnomes, when my script requested an input from the graphics locator, the focus would automatically drop to the graphics window, so touching the keyboard instead of clicking the mouse would send the "keypressed-X-Y" to the mouse-input que, and not the keyboard buffer. On the newer Gnomes, this is extremely erratic, and touching the keyboard instead of clicking the mouse sometimes (and not always) puts that key depression into the keyboard buffer (to create later havoc), but hangs my script until the operator manually focusses to the graphic screen and then does the mouse-point-key-depression "click".

Extremely annoying, so I was wondering if any of you had in-depth knowledge of where this screen-focus issue might arise from, or whether XFCE was suitable for multiseat configurations.

TIA,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897  Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax: +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za