Re: US ISPs become 'copyright cops' starting July 12

On 03/17/2012 07:15 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 17.03.2012 23:59, schrieb Shane:
On 03/17/2012 05:46 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 17.03.2012 22:30, schrieb Jim:
On 03/17/2012 01:24 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 17.03.2012 14:34, schrieb Jim:
I know this may not be the place for this post, but when it comes to software, how are these ISP's going to treat
Open Source Softwre ?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/17/us-isps-become-copyright-cops-starting-july-12/?intcmp=features
what exactly let you imagine taht this has ANYTHING to do with OpenSource?

When it comes to downloading how do they know the difference between OSS and a copy of MS software.
That is what concerns me.
jesus christ

and when it comes to play a self-made video or big images
are ona webpage so someone thinks it could be a download
leads also to a problem?

what me really scares are people like you which really believe
there is sitting the whole day someone analyzing each transfer
and blocking randomly things
You'll want to remember that this is 2010s.  Things are automated by computer.   We don't have hosts of people
setting at each ISP monitoring your e-mail to throw away spam.  You don't have to wade through tons of bits on your
computer to expunge viruses.  What makes you think copyrighted material detection requires a person constantly
watching your traffic?  Yes, there are appliances that can monitor transfers and can block copyrighted material.
You only need to do web searches to find the manufacturers.
let me guess: you are a normal user

it is more than naive to believe a ISP would scan ALL TRAFFIC automatically
and thow away besides inernet standards randomly - you have simply no idea
about the amount of traffic at ISP backbones nor how internet connectivity
work

Ah, but you guessed wrong. I have been working in the network world for 20 years. I do manage some of these very appliances.

You would be right in suspecting the ISPs cannot possibly scrub the backbone. Even though the appliances can scan at very high rates, backbone rates are even higher. But if you know what you are doing, you can position the appliances correctly and employ features on your network gear to reduce the amount of "trash" seen by the copyright scanners.

As far as internet standards; the standards only indicate how data is to be formatted and processed. There is nothing in the standards that prohibits data from being willfully tossed or sniffed/captured/whatever. Tossing and sniffing are ethical and legal concerns - not concerns of the standards.

  Shane