Re: lvm

> first if you quote the mailing-list signature is difficult to read
>
> what is difficult to read?
>
> * not so long ago GRUB2 was no topic in Fedora (around 2009)
> * but ext4 got stable late in 2008
> * in 2009 ext4 was fully supported for /
> * but you could not boot from ext4
> * you needed /boot as ext2/ext3
>
> so no problem on my setups having /boot all the time as
> own partition and in case of virtual machines even as own
> disk because you can expand it and with a little more work
> even shrink (new disk, data migration, throw away the old)
>
> i am usually installing operation system ONE TIME for many
> years, with a little luck for my whole lifetime and if you
> have complex setups the migration / preparing is always
> better than install from scratch and rebuild all your
> configurations / customaziations
>
> so in my wold LVM is useless, the big data are on sevrers
> this servers are ALL virtual machines and so there is
> no LVM needed for expand disks
>
> the only exception with LVM is the fileserver, only for the
> datadrive because in 2010 it was not possible to create a
> single virtual disk with % TB
>
> yes, i am speaking about professional IT where things are
> well planned and not randomly installed
>
> * OS
> * disk layout
> * storage sizes
> * internal repo/buildservers
> * SAN storages
>
> who needs LVM having his server on a SAN-storage which
> supports snapshots, having a virtualization layer supporting
> snapshots and at least having a virtualization layer supporting
> consitent backups of running servers?
>
> home IT does not interest me in any way
>

> --

I'm fixing my setup and can only write from Android 4 which have problems with mail list etiquette.
if you read what you send to the list you can see mistakes in what you write and sometimes is hard to make sense of the meaning of the _expression_. I sent the mail because after a few times is hard to listen to a person that you can't understand.
another thing, why are so angry? is a discussion about lvm and partitions not if star wars is better or not than star trek.