Re: Getting Video to work with Netscape (F14)

On 03/03/2012 06:22 PM, reg@xxxxxxx wrote:
OK, Im sure this has been covered a dozen times, but my scans of the
listdon't come up with anything.

I just recently brought up F14 on one machine.
Netscape is there, but when I go to watch a video from Netscape it tells
me
	This CNN feature is optimized for
	Adobe Flash Player version 10.1 or higher.

I push the buttons as requested, and Flash seems to be LOADED, but
not connected to Netscape.  What do I do???  I remember a screen where
you had to set these things 'on' in a previous Netscape, but cant find
that screen in the current one.

Thanks in advance.

May I suggest going to Adobe's download site and installing their repo. Then it's just a matter of yum install flash. That way you will be notified of any flash security issues whenever Adobe updates their rpm packages. Hardly a month goes by without a new security issue being found in Flash.

If I were you, I would consider upgrading your system. F14 reached End Of Life back about December 2011. F14 will not get any more security or bug fixes.

If you are reluctant to upgrade to F15/16/17 to avoid dealing with Gnome 3 teething pains then consider a different distribution. Scientific Linux and CentOS are both based on RHEL which is itself based on Fedora. Both SL6.2 and Cos6.2 still use the Gnome 2 interface because RHEL 6.2 uses it.

Another side benefit to moving to an RHEL based distribution is that they have a 10 year support window instead of the Fedora 18 month window. By the time they reach EOL Gnome 3 should have figured out all the bugs and "features" that are an issue at the moment.

Fedora is awesome, for what it is, which is a test and development bed for RHEL. If you don't need bleeding edge software or if you require a more stable platform over time then Fedora probably isn't your best choice. I've been using Red Hat Linux since when you had to install it from a stack of floppy disks because CD drives had not been invented yet. First Red Hat up to RH9 when they stopped releasing install CDs, then Fedora up to F14, and now CentOS 6.2.

YMMV

--
    _
   °v°