Re: Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

On 26/02/12 08:22, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:05:33 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:

Perhaps just the XFCE Spin is affected?
         Or just my copy?
So, a default install to harddisk of the XFCE Spin (Fedora 16 x86_64)
is not enough to reproduce the problem. ACLs on the device node get set.
The test scanner is listed with exactly the same ID 04a9:1909. It's not
a different model that would be detected as something else. USB scanner
detection and access to the device works already without installing
sane-backends-drivers-scanners (which isn't installed by default).

         I installed both from the same flash drive.
         That seems improbable though. It also seems likely that others
         should have observed the same problem by now. Something else I
         have installed may have resulted in this?
More basic trouble-shooting might lead to finding something, but I won't
propose further commands as they result in much more work for you with no
guarantee that something will be found. With "basic" I mean things like
verifying the RPM database for package inconsistencies and taking a look
at boot messages (possibly disabling "rhgb quiet" or enabling Plymouth
theme "detailed") and for suspicious warnings/errors in the syslog.

It's an interesting case, though. :) Something between udev and systemd
doesn't work as expected. And for two of your machines even. *ouch*

       Yes, but the live spin install is the starting point for a a
       Linux system that I then configure to make things work and look
       the way I want it to be. The only non-yum  application I can
       think of at the moment is "gnofin" [gnofin-0.8.4-1.i386.rpm]
       which I have used for a long time but that has never caused a
       problem. It does have some i386 dependencies that I have to add.
       Both computers are set up as near identical as I can make them
       and I can use them interchangeably so I would expect to see the
       same peculiarities on both.

       I always have "rhgb disabled" and display as much information as
       I can get, use the "text log-in", start from the command line
       with "startx" every morning, however the start up information is
       displayed in a very small font which requires considerable
       effort for me to read and it goes by rapidly. I do know that it
       "stumbles" at connecting to NFS and sometimes doesn't requiring
       me to connect manually later. Those are minor problems, probably
       impossible for the average user to solve, but easy enough to
       work around.

       I've looked at "dmesg" which is a large file but don't see
       anything I recognize as a problem, but then I not very
       knowledgeable there and not certain what I should be looking for.

       Bob