[SOLVED:] Re: xsane problem - also hp-setup w/ hp7510

On 2/19/2012 7:28 PM, Gabriel Ramirez wrote:

Hi,

the rpms installed on my system are:

hpijs-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-common-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-gui-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
hplip-libs-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64
libsane-hpaio-3.11.12-1.fc16.x86_64

I have a Hp c7280 to detect it with hp-setup I have:

- select  Network/Ethernet/Wireless network
- select Show advanced options
- enable manual discovery
- type the ip address of the printer

Regards,

Gabriel

Gabriel:

You provided the necessary piece of info that I overlooked (as we would say in the States .. "Bingo!").

I had all the rpms, but what happened was I got fooled by the "system-config-print cups hpijs" setup through admin->printing in which it was able to search and find without my doing anything. I was trying the Network/Ethernet/Wireless expecting the same. I looked in the advance options for an alternative rather than thinking of using it "in addition to". As I had already realized I needed the printer to be static IP and got that done this morning, I did the "manual discovery" and it worked. I would say hp-setup found it but its more like your suggestion was "stopping looking all over, its right under your nose at this address!".

When I print something (an html, for example), I am now seeing two instances of the printer ... the one created through "system-config-print cups hpijs" and a second created to hp-setup. I am assuming that I can delete the first and that the whole "system-[...]" sequence could have been skipped in favor of hp-setup. I want to test with a bunch of different situations, plus do on both F14 and F16 (I just tested with F14 as its beside me and not downstairs ... I've gone up and down them so many times, I've gotten my manditory exercise for the day!).

The great part was that when I ran the scanner tool, xsane immediately found the HP 7510 and scans like a champ. Mind you, the HP 7510 won't scan directly to the Linux box as it only wants to acknowledge where the "official HP software is" (the XP box), but that's academic as I have no problems with do all scans as "pulls" rather than being able to "push" --- I usually pull scans from my XP rather than start the process out on the printer/scanner. I did reboots to make sure it wasn't a matter of something needing to be kicked.

Tomorrow I'll run the full set of tests.

I really really thank you (assume html bold/italic here). Though it may seem obvious to use the "manual" option, I was too deep into trying to figure out all the different things that might be happening that "obvious" was just not in my range.

My thanks also go to Terry for all his help. Everything worked per his advice once the "obvious" was painted on the side of a big barn for me to see.

Paul