Connecting Westerd Digital Live disk to my laptop.

Dear Fedora users,

I am having some problems reaching to my Western Digital Mybook live external disk. Unfortunately the disk only has an ethernet port. However it is possible to connect the disk to a computer using a normal ethernet cable. Just plug it in to the computers ethernet port.

It works because the disk can create an auto crossover connection automatically. Once this happens for example with a macbook it is very easy to mount the disk, you browse through the network i.e. the "Shared" part in the Finder and see the disk to which you can then login and mount the drive.

Unfortunately so far I couldn't make this work with a fedora 16 installed system. In the macos x I can also connect to the drive through the command

afp://MyBookLive._afpovertcp._tcp.local

I tried installing the afp module for fedora tried mounting the drive using similar commands but I did not have any success with it.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience on using this drive with fedora and connected it locally to the network port of a computer. Ideally I would like to plug this disk to a computer which has two ethernet cards one will be used to connect to the disk and the other will be used for normal internet connection.

Thank you very much,

tolga

Dr. Tolga Güver
Sabanci University
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Istanbul - Turkey