Re: f16 - Brain dead wireless network manager

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
So here I am switching between the hotel's questionably usable ESS and
the conference's ESS.  Of course both have different SSIDs (SSID defines
an ESS, generally) and each has lots of Access Points many on the same
channel.  So I am in a meeting room on the VeriLAN SSID.  I suspend my
system and go to my room to the Hyatt SSID.  The icon shows the SSID
selected and a signal strength but has 'unavailable' after the word
'Wireless'.  What is going on here?  There is no easy way to restart the
connection.  I have to go into Network Settings, turn off wireless and
turn it on.  ARGH!

It sounds like your WLAN device has trouble resuming after sleeping. You will probably need to file a bug if you can't connect to APs after sleeping.

Then I am not getting anything to work on the Hyatt SSID, yet it is
showing 3 bars of signal strength.  But is there any textual info on S/N
or anything worthwhile?  Of course not.  WiFi is suppose to be used by
cellphone users that only know to look at bars on their cellphones, so
that must be good enough?  When you are working on multiple ESSes as you
will in a hotel (many have a different SSID for the lobby from the rooms
from the meeting rooms even without the meeting having its own!), you
need better.  Or at least what I had with f14.

I will answer a few of your rhetorical questions anyway. If you wish you see hard numbers in regards to wireless signal strength you can use "iwconfig" or "iw" to view all kinds of detailed information.