Re: Samsung printer won't print

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The configs were before I used splix and can look up my old notes on
> the issue.  However if you have a previously defined printer before
> you installed the splix package the way I would proceed is to delete

> I will dig out my notes later if you say that this fails to work.

I originally placed some notes at
http://userbase.kde.org/Troubleshooting/Samsung_scx-4500W

My own private notes file has:

Setting up the Printer

The following was set up for F12.
I downloaded the driver set and untarred them. The drivers are
available from Samsung's web page.
However I did not install their script(s). Instead I pulled the
following two files out of their Unified Driver file (Note that a
different directory is needed for x86_64):
I added the file rastertosamsungspl (from
cdroot/Linux/i386/at_root/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl) to
/usr/lib/cups/filter/
and scx4500w.ppd (from cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd/) was
needed also. You need to cd to /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds
and make directory "samsung", then
gzip -c /path-to-my-scx4500w/scx4500w.ppd > samsung/scx4500w.ppd.gz
That was all that seemed to be needed. Anyway I plugged in the usb
line to the main machine here, and turned on the printer whilst
tailing the messages file.
On startup it immediately recognised the printer and the messages file
showed that the device had been found correctly, and culminated in:
Jul 20 20:37:32 home1 kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
Jul 20 20:38:00 home1 hal_lpadmin: Added printer SCX-4500W-Series

A window popped up saying the printer had been added and offered me to
check the settings - all that I changed was the paper size from the US
Letter to our A4 size and then I ran a test page - which looked
perfect.

Then I printed a system status page from the printer itself which was
fine, and then did a test print from the main machine - all seems
well.
 I then checked that the printer was visible to other machines on the
LAN and it worked nicely.
 To put it on the local network give it a sensible ip address rather
than the default 192. address that it comes with.

Next to get printing via the network instead of via USB.
In the main machine go to System -> Administration -> Printing -> New Printer
Select Network Printer and the drop-down HP JetDirect (even though it isn't).
Use the known printer IP in the "host" dialog and leave the default
"Port 9100". Click Forward.
Select ppd file (as in the sections above) and navigate to it - set
the remaining parameters required. Change paper to A4.
Then I sent a test page - and printed a mail item - which seemed fine
apart from the page size being a touch too small for the writing at
the top and bottom. That can no doubt be tweaked as necessary later.
Then any other machine on the network can either use the printer via
cups or set it as an independent route via the network as above.
Since the wired cable had been removed this test print went via the
wireless network to the scx-4500w. If the printer is wired to your
local router via ethernet then the print goes via the wired router -
you can't do wireless and wired at the same time with this printer.

Your printer may be different in behaviour.

When I was advised that the opensource splix package was likely to
support my printer I simply deleted the printer definition once splix
was installed, and started the printer setup from the popup when it
was plugged in again.
(I can't remember if I restarted cups as well just to be sure that all
was cleaned up first)

I hope this helps.

--
mike c